Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Cultural Humility... What is it?

So in my my classes, I have come to realize so many things.  One important thing to me is accepting, loving and finding worth in all people.  Yes, there may be a few bad apples in the bunch, but that shouldn't drive a stereotype about all people or a majority within that area.  

I found this video.  It is about 30 minutes in length, but the first 60 seconds encapsulate everything that I have learned and want to incorporate in my life- the meaning of CULTURAL HUMILITY.   The rest of the video provides examples and addresses issues that arise with this subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaSHLbS1V4w
What I have learned from my classes is that every person is unique, with their own experiences to offer in life.  We are all multi-dimensional with our own experiences, our own heritage, and our own ideals and beliefs.  Each one of us, no matter race, gender, disability, or privilege has something to offer and every one of us can learn something from any single person within society- regardless of the above factors.

To be humble, to experience humility is to acknowledge that there is room for self-growth and improvement; that there are people who are more powerful than you, educated than you, or know more than you; it is to know that other people have the capability and capacity to do something.  It also requires the realization and understanding that others (perhaps of the opposite gender, race, or with a disability) are just as capable as you are.  But to exert your power over them (or others)- as in dominating them- is to keep the vicious cycle going that perpetuates inequality.

For cultural humility, it is all this, just on a grander scale.  We need to understand that others play just as valuable a role and are just as important to the global society as you and I are.  We need to do our part and help sensitize the world (starting with our communities) again to have empathy, understanding and compassion for everyone.  To take the time to embrace diversity and not shun it; to grasp critical thinking and have them self reflect and then mend their ways to help them feel and understand.

Some say one person cannot change the world, but with one person you can change someone’s world.  And by changing one person’s world at a time, we can impact the bigger picture.

Katie 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Ramstein, Germany
I'm Katie. I am a mother of 2 great girls and a am married to the most amazing guy ever, Paul. I am 30, Paul is 26 and my girls, Madison- 9 and Emily- 6. There is never a dull moment in our lives!!! I currently go to school full time and volunteer a lot. As of Jan 2013, I have embarked on a life changing endeavor- losing 35 pounds! I currently blog about it, so feel free to catch up :)