Thursday, November 29, 2012

People Come Into Your Life for a Reason...

So today, Paul left for a TDY.  A short one, but I always feel lonely when he is gone.  So I try to bide my time in doing other things and staying busy.  At work (The Fisher House), I have met some pretty amazing people!  I am a social person and I enjoy talking to everyone.  At the Fisher House we see all sorts of people, wounded soldiers, retirees, other country's soldiers, family members, etc.  Well, I always like talking to the older people.  I have always been drawn to the elderly and helping them.  Maybe it's because I see that they don't have a ton of time left and I feel like if I can make them smile or help them- I am making their day just a little bit brighter?  Or maybe it is because I feel like (with the American culture), the elderly are thought of and treated like 2nd class citizens; people tend to just look past them or think of them as old and senile.  When in fact they have a multitude of understanding, experience and such interesting stories...

There is one couple in particular who I have bonded with at work.  They are James and Helga.  She is German, he is American and they reside in Germany.   They have children, but no grandchildren.  They always wanted grandkids, but for whatever reason, it didn't happen.

Needless to say, I have taken my kids into work many times (thanks to my awesome bosses!!!) and on a couple of occasions, James and Helga met Madison and Emily.  It was like a mutual, immediate relationship.  The girls took to them and they took to the girls.  They come up for medical reasons once a month for a day or so and the last couple times I have been able to take the girls in after school and work.  Helga sits for a couple hours and teaches Madison new crocheting techniques, German and songs, James sits with Emily and teaches her some German words and songs and then I usually work with reading.  It is really amazing to watch.

I have really grown fond of James and Helga.  On some levels I am jealous of everything they experience together.  I find myself wishing I had more time with my grandmother before she passed.  I think about how I wish the girls' were able to sit with their/our grandparents for hours and just soak in new things, crafts, stories and just spend time with them!  But being in Germany right now, we can't.

Anyways, today I was able to take the girls to work and James and Helga were there.  They spent 3.5 hours with the kids and taught them some amazing stuff.  Madison learned how to make a yard chord (it is actually really cool! Some is in the girls' hair in the pics below.) and learned more crocheting stuff!  And both girls learned a new song and learned how to say Christmas Tree in German.  It is pretty amazing, and I am so grateful to have met them.    I look forward to everyone of their visits!!!

I am not sure what the reason was they came into our life or us into theirs...  Maybe we are able to give each other something, like a sense of "family" or idk...  Something I am sure...  One day, the reason will show itself...  :)

Here is a pic from tonight!




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Ramstein, Germany
I'm Katie. I am a mother of 2 great girls and a am married to the most amazing guy ever, Paul. I am 30, Paul is 26 and my girls, Madison- 9 and Emily- 6. There is never a dull moment in our lives!!! I currently go to school full time and volunteer a lot. As of Jan 2013, I have embarked on a life changing endeavor- losing 35 pounds! I currently blog about it, so feel free to catch up :)