Monday, August 8, 2011

New Beginnings... Sad Goodbyes...

Today is Monday, August 8th, 2011.  The girls and I are leaving the country, Germany bound in 2 days (August 10th for those of you who are lost).  Today was bittersweet.  I woke up- so excited... knowing I can now say "WE LEAVE THIS WEEK!!!"  Everything was going great.  I started packing and getting everything in order...  


Then we had dinner with Doug and Renee (every Monday- today was no exception).  It was sad, but I tried not to let it show.  I kept thinking, this is the last family dinner we will have here for a while.  Kinda sucked b/c I've been doing the family dinner thing now for like ohhhhhhh......  17-18 months now...  every week!  So it was sad for me.  But we told everyone bye...  Doug and Renee we will see tomorrow, so it wasn't too bad (yet).  


Next we went over to my friend's Dave and Tori's to say bye and pick up some clothes.  Well I was fine until we had to leave.  I gave hugs, was pouty...  But no tears yet.  Then we walked out the door and i had to turn back.  I just wanted one more hug!  I couldn't help but cry.  These are 2 of my best friends...  I don't make friends well.  I mean I am social and all and I get along with almost everyone...  But a FRIEND is hard to find.  And I don't have many at all.  So it hurts when you have to leave them...


And it hurts to have to leave a family I have grown so close to.  I love my inlaws and inlaw grandparents.  From day one, I felt accepted...  I felt a warmth with both sides of Paul's family- I didn't think I could feel (being that they aren't actually related to me).  But I do.  


His grandparents (both sides) are awesome.  I love to just sit and talk to them about anything, coin collections, weather, baking, religion ;), future, etc.  It's always great to spend time with them.  


His parents, both sides, are just always there like real parents.  No matter what- they would bend over backwards to help in any way...  From camping trips to weekly dinners, to opening up their home to let me and the kids stay while we wait to leave to advice to anything... They have been there to help us.


And then we have the siblings...  I wasn't as close to them as I would like to have been... But non the less, we all had our moments- good or bad or somewhere in between...  All in all, Paul has some pretty amazing sisters and a great brother!  They are all very unique in their own ways and it was great to see that and learn to understand their personalities. Though at times (early on) I may not have understood why things were happening like they were, in the end (I think) for the most part- we all are on even keel and hopefully have a better understanding for each other.  I know I do and I also have alot more respect certain situations now.  "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink..."  I guess I was trying to drown my horse in the beginning...  Didn't work too well.  But I didn't kill him...  So we will see :)


Now I am thinking about tomorrow.  FML.  I have to say goodbye to more family and my other 2 best friends- Jen and Sam.  Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to go, but I just wish I could bring everyone along for the ride lol.  I am gonna miss everyone.  


Change happens...  People come in and out of your life for a reason...  And it isn't going to stop here.  It's part of the military life...  It's a love/ hate relationship at all times!  


You know, it is so funny....  Thinking back- when I got orders to Utah- I was so pissed.  I cried, I yelled, I was just beside myself...  I put all East coast bases and 5 overseas ones...  and I got UTAH.  And now looking back, it was one of my best bases.  


I know some people hate it.  But for me, I enjoyed it.  I enjoyed being a UDM (unit deployment mngr), I enjoyed UDM central, I enjoyed MOST of the people (minus a MXG MAJOR and a 388 OSS SMSgt- but I won't name names...), I enjoyed baking all the time for my work posse, and I enjoyed being great at my job- being the go to person for alot of stuff...   I enjoyed my time at Hill AFB....  No, I'll correct myself...  I enjoyed the people I met at Hill AFB and I enjoyed the mountains, lakes and scenery....  Not the BASE itself.  It needs a leadership makeover...  


I vote to make my old SQ CC to skip all ranks and just go to General level.  He was the only one I ever felt like I could rely on, who had my back and who was the best LEADER in my entire AF career.  He would make sh!t happen if he had the higher rank to make changes himself (without asking others).


Anyways, I am kinda blabbering now.  IDK, I'm gonna miss this place.  All in all I haven't been here (in Utah) long- just 26 months, but in that time, I have inherited an amazing addition to my family (Paul's side), some amazing, lifelong friends, fell in love with this state and here I met the love of my life.  These last 2 years have been life changing... All for the better!   I love you all (Sam & Jen, Tori & Dave, Megan, Sean, Kyle & Alanna, my UDMs, my old CC, my old superintendent, my Chaplin, Patti & Curt, Doug & Renee, Carolyn & Bruce, Linda & Dutch...  Not to mention my family :) Dusty & Gary, Lance, Kelly, Momo, Dad, Mom, Aunt Pat & Uncle Donnie, Jason & Susan & Andrew)  If I missed anyone, I'm sorry- It's late and I'm rambling lol.  Goodnight!  


See you on the flip side of the globe!  


Add on skype- BELLA42182


HUGS! XOXOXO


Katie


FRIENDS AND FAMILY...  WE WILL MISS YOU! 

MANY MEMORIES...  LOTS OF LOVE...





































No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Ramstein, Germany
I'm Katie. I am a mother of 2 great girls and a am married to the most amazing guy ever, Paul. I am 30, Paul is 26 and my girls, Madison- 9 and Emily- 6. There is never a dull moment in our lives!!! I currently go to school full time and volunteer a lot. As of Jan 2013, I have embarked on a life changing endeavor- losing 35 pounds! I currently blog about it, so feel free to catch up :)