Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lions- Tigers- and... CREEPERs... Oh My!

Well, last weekend Paul and I and another couple took all the kids to the Wilhelma Zoo in Stuttgart (http://www.wilhelma.de/).  It was a beautiful weekend!  The air was warm and inviting, the skies were blue and the kids were all excited (ok I was too).  This zoo is the biggest in Germany and has a good rep for an awesome family day trip!  


So the day starts out with a 2 hour car ride...  an hour to find parking... but hey- they kids aren't fighting!  So WIN!  We found parking and it wasn't too far away (another WIN), we pay and go in!  Looks cool so far!  Since it is lunch time by now, we stop and eat before getting to far away from food and pottys!  


Now... we are on our way!  We see birds first...  more birds...  and more birds!  Then monkeys...  Holy monkey!  Germans must love these things b/c I've never seen so many exhibits dedicated to monkeys and birds!  


After about 30 min of monkeys and birds we start seeing other animals- YAY!  And it is at this point I notice something.  Well, this guy...  He just smells horrible.  Super bad BO and I turn to leave and see him.  He is wearing a white collar shirt and jeans with a belt, brown shoes, has a blue backpack and a camcorder.  His clothes look like they haven't been washed in about a week and he had been playing in a dust bowl.  His hair and hygiene left me feeling dirty just for standing by him.  He gave me the creeps.  I told the kids to c'mon and we went to the next exhibit.  


I didn't really pay him or the situation much attention...  He was alone and I thought he was just another person (just dirty) enjoying the zoo.  Well about 30 min later, I noticed him again.  Close to the kids as we (parents) were about 15 ft back letting the kids up front to enjoy the animals...  I thought it was strange to see him again in such a HUGE zoo.  


Then it got even creepier.  I saw him at every exhibit we stopped at.  When we stopped he would either stop too or act like he was walking in a different direction (away from us) and then come back when we started moving.  


He would stand close and far at times.  I just made sure to keep the kids close.  Then I noticed he started using the camcorder.  Just pointing it around and all.  I couldn't tell what  he was filming, but it was always in the direction of the animals (and the kids).  


Finally, I told Paul.  I was really getting creeped out.  We had been being followed now for about 2 hours.  And it wasn't like we were running into him on accident or vice versa.  His deliberate actions, eye contact and movements were no accident.  He was following us.  


We started making odd moves, turns and basically going in a circle, going down a wrong turn and backing up just to make sure I wasn't crazy (and to see if he really was following).  Yep, every move we made, he followed.  WTF dude!  Now I am freaking a lot.  I tell my friend Arden...  We take the kids to the big cafe towards the entrance.  Get them ce cream and us coffee..  Guess who decides to walk by.  Yep!  Then we sit in a glass encased room... and Mr. Creeper sits down outside the room facing us so he can see us.  OMG.  At this point I wanna be hysterical.  I want to go ask this dude WTF his deal is.  Paul and Arden hold me back saying it isn't a good idea especially if this guy is crazy or delusional.  


We finish out treats and Jay (Arden's hubby) says- go to the gift shop.  There is only 1 way in/out.  We mingle around some stuffed animals while the guys go talk to a zoo worker to try and find the zoo po-po (police).   I ask Arden- do you see him.  Madison says, that guy behind you thats been following us?  I turn and he is RIGHT BEHIND US.  I freak the hell out as if there was a giant tarantula on me (I hate spiders).  I ask Arden- what do you think he wants?  She says that we have 4 gorgeous daughters and he probably isn't after the adults.  This made me so scared.  And then I got mad.  I was thinking of everything I could physically do to protect us.  Thinking ok, there are 2 dude, 2 women and 5 kids (4 girls and a baby boy).  


Then the guys come back and say we need to head to the exit and talk to the guard people there.  We do and then we don't see Mr. Creeper!  I bet these folks thought we were making it all up.  Ugh!  4 hours of being followed and video'ed and scared and then he is gone.  


We had a 1/2 mile to walk to our car and the whole way, one guy was in front and one in the back, watching, waiting to attack this creep!  But he was gone.  


That night, getting home, getting kids in bed, reflecting on the day, I got scared in my own house! Even though it is on an AFB.  It took me 2 hours to fall asleep and all i kept thinking was if someone ever tried to hurt my family- without hesitation, I will kill them.  No doubt.  


In closing, my quote for this experience is this one (modified a tad) from 
Miss Congeniality- Gracie Hart: And if anyone, anyone tries to hurt one of my new friends (FAMILY), I would take them out. I would make them suffer so much that they'd wish they 
were never born. And if they ran, I would hunt them down. Thank you!


So just remember to keep your kids close.  Creepers are everywhere and anywhere.  Parents are more free- teating their kids go off and play, walk to friends', etc and this makes it easy to target.  I definitely am not trying to sound paranoid, but kidnapping isn't going away.  Just be proactive and take precautions...  Kids are precious and life is too short!


I love you Madison and Emily!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Ramstein, Germany
I'm Katie. I am a mother of 2 great girls and a am married to the most amazing guy ever, Paul. I am 30, Paul is 26 and my girls, Madison- 9 and Emily- 6. There is never a dull moment in our lives!!! I currently go to school full time and volunteer a lot. As of Jan 2013, I have embarked on a life changing endeavor- losing 35 pounds! I currently blog about it, so feel free to catch up :)