Tuesday, November 1, 2011

You're Gonna Miss This...

The song You're Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins has such a powerful meaning.  I love it and think about it often when things happen with the kids.  I can't believe how big they are getting, can't believe how smart they are, how resilient they are, how they are beginning to look so grown up.

I know society has a way of influencing kids to grow up faster than we want, and my kids, well, they aren't an exception.  Paul and I try to keep them little, but the fact is, they have a growing independence about them and they are going to explore that.  Our job I guess is to make sure they are pointed in the right direction.  We are doing out best.

The kids and Paul are great, they interact well and talk.  He reads books about being a step dad and is really trying to get a grasp on parenting dos and don'ts.  He is doing such a great job.  Me and the kids have a sort of love and testing relationship.  I'm the one they will test, talk back to or try to fight with, b/c I am mom.  But, that is getting better.  The recent talks I have had with the kids have finally hit home. And I am learning, they are babies anymore.  Yes they are my babies, but they are wanting to explore who they are and what they are capable of.  I've been slowly giving it to them, within reason.  They have been beyond cooperative, non fighting and helpful.

An example would be- Madison's hair.  She has been begging me to cut it for a month.  I kept telling her no.  But she wanted it.  Finally I said to myself, what is it gonna hurt?  She wants to be her own person, it's her hair and she wants to cut it, so why not?  I mean really, it's hair- not like it won't grown back!  So I cut out for her.

Another example is clothes, I've been letting them pick their clothes out, Emily, too.  It's a lot less of a war-zone in the ams now.  Paul once said- you let these clothes come in here, you approve them by buying them, so you know she won't leave the house looking horrible, so why not?  So I agreed.

It's the little things- letting them have a decision, even though it may be small, it's theirs to make and they love it.

Madison loves being a social butterfly.  She can stay outside with her friends all afternoon and night, if I let her!  But Emily loves to be a helper!  Anything she can do to help mom or Paul!  She loves to sweep and will take it from me, she loves to bake and help cook.  Last night we had spaghetti.  She had to help!  Paul's gonna make her a master chef by the age of 16!

Cooking Spaghetti Sauce
Testing the noodles
 
Yummy!  It's done!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you gave in to the clothes war. I stopped dressing them as soon as they could walk, LOL. I always think it's cuter to see what they pick out anyways, for some reason it makes me happy to see kids who obviously dressed themselves.
    Congrats on your pregnancy too!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Ramstein, Germany
I'm Katie. I am a mother of 2 great girls and a am married to the most amazing guy ever, Paul. I am 30, Paul is 26 and my girls, Madison- 9 and Emily- 6. There is never a dull moment in our lives!!! I currently go to school full time and volunteer a lot. As of Jan 2013, I have embarked on a life changing endeavor- losing 35 pounds! I currently blog about it, so feel free to catch up :)